Thursday, May 20, 2010

Serious gardening question - Transplanting Peonies?

When I moved into my house there were peonies already growing. I have 3 plants. One is located in shade, right under a bush. The other two seem to be planted too deep and only get partial sun. I would like to move them in the fall, but I am afraid I will kill them. I have no idea how old they are, but I know peonies do not like to be moved! Can someone tell me, in plain English, the correct way to move these, where it is best to put them, and how to prepare their new spot? Can I put them in a high traffic area (corner of my flowerbed, adjacent to driveway)? Each plant is smallish - how far apart should they be? How far away from shrubbery? Will I need to stake them?

Serious gardening question - Transplanting Peonies?
Here's a link to a site with simple directions for transplanting peonies. They describe it better than I could. I have moved old, old peonies and they all survived and thrived. I didn't stake any of them.
Reply:I have moved peonies in my zone 4 garden and, while they don't like to be moved, they adapt well to transplanting. They also respond well to division and it's a great way to rejuvenate an older shrub. I usually divide mine in spring to share with neighbours.





Sometimes they do pout a bit for the first two or three years before they bloom again, but some will bloom the first year.





Decide where you would like to move them and prepare the new holes first. Dig up the plants on an overcast day or early in the morning and place them in their new area. Water them well and that's all that is necessary.





They will adapt to many locations so if they are large, you can divide them and try different locations. Division is easily done with a pitchfork or shovel.





I use a tomato cage around mine to keep them from flopping over and the leaves cover it. It also reminds me in Spring where they are located.

hiking boots rating

No comments:

Post a Comment