Monday, May 11, 2009

Tree peony question?

I am growing tree peonys from seed this year.Has any one ever grown them from seed.I have seedlings already up. I know they won't breed true, I am just experimenting.I have grown them from grafted plants before but just need any tips you might have on seedling care


Thanks

Tree peony question?
Garden peonies will usually begin blooming within three years after planting. Tree peonies will begin blooming at about the same time, but will increase slowly in size and bloom quantity. They can live for up to a hundred years.


TIPS- Tree peonies should always have dappled or afternoon shade since the large, silky petals are damaged by excess sun. Well-drained, loamy soil is best for good growth of peonies. Good drainage is vital to avoid root rot and fungal diseases. If your soil is heavy clay, amend it with compost, finely ground pine bark or well-rotted manure to improve drainage and organic matter content.


No comments:

Post a Comment