Monday, May 11, 2009

Can a peony be stared by the flower head?

No, only by a root section.


As soon as you see shoots come up in the spring you can divide them. It's best to wait until after they flower, then you can separate the parts that have had flowers already.


.


I dig a big hole where they will go first, and mix lots of compost in the bottom of the hole. Then I flood it with water and wait untill it settles before transplanting the new plant.


.


Then I use my spade which is kept nice and sharp and dig out a chunk of the plant I'm using. Generally I remove one chunk from each parent plant each year. I fill the hole later with compost and tamp it down and water it.


.


I quickly move the new chunk to the prepared hole , this minimizes shock from drying out. I backfill with compost and water and mulch, but I don't fertilize untill the following year.


.


Sometimes I dig chunks to give to friends, so in that case I use a used plastic pot and water it good and keep it in the shade untill its ready to plant.

Can a peony be stared by the flower head?
No. Typically, you would need a root with a small bud known as an eye to start it.





I don't really know of any plants that can be started vegetatively from a true flower head, although there are several plants and fruits that have compound flowers or fruits that form around a stem that you can start from the flower or a fruit (example is a pineapple), but a peony is not one of them.





I can understand your desire though, because many of them are somewhat expensive, particulary the tree peonies.
Reply:no the cant, unless you mean from the seeds

auto loan

No comments:

Post a Comment